The PGA Tour has softened its stance on LIV Golf, which it had considered an illegal tournament. Last year, the Tour commissioner Jay Monahan punished 17 players who took part in LIV’s debut event in London by suspending them from the Tour.
The PGA of America CEO Seth Waugh also warned that players who faced sanctions from the Tour would lose their PGA of America benefits. He said this during the PGA Championship at Southern Hills in May. However, most of the 11 players who sued the Tour for antitrust violations, including Phil Mickelson, have withdrawn from the case. Some of them have also renounced their Tour memberships. The lawsuit is still ongoing, but it is moving slowly through the legal system.
Waugh recently changed his stance and said, “Sadly, the current division in the professional game is not good for the sport or the future of the game. We hope there might be some resolution soon. In the meantime, as always, our focus will be on our mission to grow the game and improve the lives of our members, who work so hard to impact millions of lives every day.”
The PGA Tour has a deadline of less than two months to finalize a deal with the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia, the owner of LIV Golf, according to the “framework agreement” that was announced on June 6.
The Tour’s decision may indicate a lower level of conflict with LIV Golf. The final stage of the PGA Tour’s Q-School will start on Dec. 14.
No comments yet. Be the first!